The team here at BoxRope are die-hard boxing fans, and we know how hard it can be cutting weight.
Weight loss is an important part of the job. Unlike traditional sports, boxing is divided by weight classes. A boxer can’t fight if he/she doesn’t make weight. With that in mind, it’s no surprise that we often receive questions about cutting weight. One of the most common is related to the jump rope.
After all, almost every single boxers jump rope, so is jumping rope good for cutting weight?
A SIMPLE JUMP ROPE WORKOUT TO CUT WEIGHT.
The most efficient and effective method for cutting weight while jumping rope is to include it in a high-intensity interval training program. Here's a simple jump rope workout to help you efficiently combine resting intervals with a high-intensity level workout:
- Step 1. Jump rope for 30 seconds straight. This might be more difficult than it appears. Then, take a 60-second break and jump rope for another 30 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
- Step 2. Jump rope for 30 seconds while alternating your legs. Experiment with shifting your weight and strengthening your core muscles. In between reps, take a 90-second break. Repeat 4 times.
- Step 3. Conclude the workout with a jump rope circuit. After 30 seconds of rope jumping, take a 12-second break before completing 30 seconds of jumping jacks. Rest for 12 seconds before doing the burpees in 30 seconds. To finish strong, do a 30-second push-up session.
Want a full list of jump rope drills for boxing?
Check out our previous article with our top 5 jump rope drills for boxing here.
WHY JUMP ROPE FOR BOXERS?
Jumping rope is a type of cardiovascular workout that every boxer swears by.
An effective weight-loss jump-rope program burns more calories per hour than any other form of cardio. But is it true that jumping rope burns fat? Absolutely!
Skipping-based exercise burns fat while tightening the core, increasing stamina, toning the calves, and improving lung capacity. Following a healthy diet in combination with the proper rope workout can help you cut a lot of weight. Here’s are the benefits of jumping rope and how you can cut weight:
THE BENEFITS OF JUMP ROPE FOR BOXERS.
Jumping rope is good for your health, and it can help you achieve your fitness goals quickly.
Here are a few reasons to consider incorporating jump ropes into your next training session:
- Jumping rope is highly effective for the whole body. Jumping rope integrates the entire body. You use your legs to jump, arms to swing, and torso for stabilization. As a result, it's an excellent all-over muscle toner and calorie burner.
- You burn both calories and energy. You may burn 200 to 300 calories in 15 minutes on average when jumping rope. This is because jumping rope is thermogenic, which means it generates a lot of heat in the body. Your body must burn more fuel to create this energy, resulting in higher levels of calorie burning.
- Jumping rope helps strengthen your calves. Your calves are among your key muscle movers when moving around the ring. That's why jumping can assist you in developing leg muscles that can be the difference between winning and losing your fights.
As you can see, jump rope comes with many benefits for boxers. Not only can jumping rope help you cut weight before your fight, but you'll also have some significant health benefits. We suggest that you start with low-intensity exercises and then take things to the next level little by little.
Additionally, when it comes to cutting weight, the exercises that you perform are just one piece of the puzzle. No matter how hard you try, you can’t out-exercise a bad diet. If you eat and drink too much junk, it won’t matter what exercises you perform. You will struggle to cut weight.
So train hard, eat clean and stay consistent!
Want more boxing tips? Check out our full list of articles here.
GET THE MOST OPTIMIZED JUMP ROPE FOR BOXING.
Looking for the best jump rope for boxing?
Built from a high-grade PVC rope, it weighs about 15% more and is wound 20% tighter than traditional jump ropes. The added weight and tightness create a satisfying and natural feel.
The BoxRope Vol.1. added agility and control allow you to create superior workouts and achieve greater results. It is simply the finest rope available, and we know you’re going to love it.
If your game to the next level, click here to get the best jump rope for boxing.